JUST GO WITH THE FLOW

Friday 10 June 2016








I am one of those people who struggles with spontaneity and even more so since having my little boy. I like things to be in order, planned out and in the know of everything that will or may be happening throughout any sort of trip. As last minute plans were being made to take the train down to Brighton during half term I was secretly freaking out inside. My fiancé and I had just started potty training Leo, something I had put a lot of stressful over thinking into before starting. I was only able to focus on everything that might go wrong. Leo unleashing his bodily functions on the passengers of the hour long train was a big worry.



As we made our way to the train station, sweating like nobody’s business, carrying a heaving bag of emergency clothes for Leo on my back. With his potty hooked to the pram, I couldn’t help but think what an awful idea it was. These negative thoughts were quickly erased once we arrived. We had survived the over packed train journey without an accident in the pram! The breeze as we stepped off the train was incredibly refreshing, being able to see the sea as we strolled down to our hotel calmed all the worries I had before setting off.




We spent the majority of our time on the beach. We eagerly tip toed down to the water, attempting not to fall over while sinking into the millions of multi coloured rocks. Leo loves sticking his toes in the sea, no matter how freezing cold the water is. Squeals filled the air as the waves crashed in to his little legs, just missing his trousers that I was not able to roll up any further because of my obsession with dressing him in skinny jeans.




Leo collected rocks, crouching down to get the exact one that was worthy of being lugged back to the sea in his little bucket. Calling out “mummy, cayou!” when he realised the bucket was far too heavy for him to carry all the way back, I swung him on my hip and we proceeded to launch the rocks back into the sea, giggling as they hit the water.




After a quick accident avoiding pee (Leo, not me) in a little dug out hole on the beach we then set off on the pier to hunt down some treats in the form of  mini donuts. My sister-in -law and I opened our umbrellas to block ourselves from the extremely confident seagulls who were patiently waiting for someone to expose their food enough for them to swoop down and grab it. The last couple of times I have been to Brighton I have been their victim. First they flew in and snatched my food out of my hands, nipping my finger and giving me a fright. The second time one landed on my head and I shrieked at the top of my lungs causing everyone to turn and stare, much to my embarrassment.




There was a lot of jumping around yelling "yaaaaaaay" from Leo while in Brighton so we left feeling calm and full filled. I felt like I learned a very valuable lesson. Sometimes going with the flow instead of focusing in on all the little details is the best recipe for the perfect little trip.







3 comments:

  1. Patience > Perfectionism
    I'm glad you're learning this - as a mum it must be difficult not to worry constantly. Glad you were able to relax and let go x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pics are absolutely beautiful. Great topic everyone can relate to x

    ReplyDelete